Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Finally....I got my driving license


I can't get a Egypt driving license directly with my Singapore license. They only allowed some nationalities to have it without the need to go thru a theory and practical test.

So I went for the test. At first they want me to take theory test, abit panic lah, can't remember what are the difference between these signs:
- A blue background circle with a slash
- A blue background circle with a cross
- A white background circle with a slash

Today on the way to Alamein, I saw one sign having a camel drawn on it. This one I know lah, watch out for camel shit ahead right!?

Anyway, they later said no need theory test, because I look very clever and they don't want to waster their time.

Then I went on to take the driving test. The circuit is like the one in Singapore, but I have to enter the circuit from a back alley because they blocked the front entrance. When I queue up my car to wait for my turn, a horse was eating hay beside me. My colleague told me I can buy the horse for around 3000 LE.

Back to the circuit, I a bit kan chiong lah, the lane is so small, it's difficult to negotiate my 4WD around the corner! Then while we were queing, the woman infront of me forget to put on seat belt! Kena warning from officer but don't know she still pass or not. Then the guy behind me kena warning also, because he was talking...on his mobile phone while taking a driving test!
It's indeed an endless fun and amusement living in Egypt.

Then it's my turn, I think the only thing they want to test is my parallel parking...I don't know why. I abit panic, because the parking space a Kancil also can sweat trying to go in lah!

I salute the driving skill of Egyptian. Eventhough they seems to drive recklessly and give no regards to any traffic rules, they are still a more skillful driver compared to most Singaporean drivers!

We once took a black and white street cab, the driver drove like F1 Hamilton on ecstasy, we have many scary moment and the driver was able to avoid all the accidents last minute. I think that's the only time I had cold sweat taking a cab in the hot summer. I actually don't mind the other driver who turn on the Arabic pop music that can be heard 5km away, at least our hearing recovered after we get out from the cab.

So back to my test, I don't think I park my 4WD fully inside the box, because I know if I move abit more forward, I will hit the cone, abit more backward, also kena cone. Before I try to re-align the car any further, the officer yelled to me and say ok! Pass!....don't ask me why...I think he never see anyone manage to squeeze a 4WD inside the box until that day...that's why he let me pass lor.

There you go, they issued the license on the spot and it's valid for 10 years.

I still wonder why the other day a cabby still manage to pick up passenger, with one punctured tyre.

-VINcE

No comments: