Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fish


I bought fish for the first time in Egypt.

After numerous reading about badly polluted Nile River in Egypt, I haven't ate much seafood. I am particularly cautious about the food condition here as I don't want to fall sick after eating them. The medical service provided here is one of the "horror" story I read quit often.

As a newcomer, there's no way I can find out where the fishes on the market come from. We have seen some not very fresh fish and shrimps on the supermarket. Oh, and the crabs they have are so tiny that I doubt there's enough meat in it for us to suck it out!

Since Eve is now here to take care of our daily meals, I have decided to give her more cooking options other than beef, chicken, turkey and rabbit meat.

So, I went to a nearby shop to buy fish. I have frequent this shop for their shrimp and calamari rice before, but have never tasted any fish there. When I was there this time, they were loading new stock of fishes and I can see from the eye of the fishes that it's very fresh.

I picked my fish and it's selling at 60LE/kilo. I don't know the name fo the fish, I have problem recognising the fish name, unless they have cute name like Nemo...hehe..

I didn't realise that I have actually picked the most expensive fish, my colleague told me few days after I bought the fish. Anyway, I am very satisfied with the "catch". The meat is sweat and taste good when steamed.

I also gained some confident on this shop as my colleague who "self-proclaimed" himself as a picky seafood eater, gave good rating about the freshness of the fish in this shop. He said those fishes might be coming from Port Said or Alexandria off the Mediterranean sea

This weekend, we are going to eat more fish!

-VINcE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wei... don't eat too much, you have to wait for me.