Thursday, April 17, 2008

Zippo

I got to admit that shopping is sometime a great form of therapy for man also, of course when comparing to woman, we do it more moderately.

So I was on the way back to office, and saw the Zippo display rack...I moved closer and was basically glued to the display window watching the rotating rack. Damn...I need to buy something to reward myself.....Rewards for what? Heck, I just feel like buying! haha


I used to own 2 genuine Zippo (not those imitation you get in ChatChuChak market in Bangkok lar). One was a gift from my good friend during poly time and the other one I bought it myself.


The one given by friend was accidently dropped from 7 storey, while I was trying to practise the new fancy flip-and-light skill with the Zippo.....at the window edge. When I recovered it, it was badly dented.


I can't recall what had happend to the other one, but if I my memory serves me right, I think I tried to repair the other one myself with SUPER GLUE and the flip got stucked by the over flowing glue....I very clever hor?



Here's my new Zippo:



This Zippo caught my eyes with the dog logo embossed on it...Ok ok, I know it's a wolf but I am the owner so if I say it's dog, then it's a dog.



The design also match Egypt quite well I think, like it's at the Sahara desert with the cactus and the DOG howling at full moon.



It's a bit pricy to buy here compare to the price in Singapore, but Zippo has many designs for the casing and if you found one that you like, you better buy it. It's difficult to buy another identical Zippo somewhere else, unless it's the standard metal chrome version with no design on it.


The various Zippo design. I like the one with Boston Celtic logo on it. Haha...okok.... I give way this time, the green leaves is a Shamrock logo relating to St.Patrick.


Hah! Zippo even manufacture display stand for collectors!


So, why Zippo since that it's expensive compared to the 3 for 1 dollar plastic case lighter made in China?



Well, the Zippo lighter is backed by its famous lifetime guarantee: “It works or we fix it for free.” ....and as claimed on their website: "In almost 75 years, no one has ever spent a cent on the mechanical repair of a Zippo lighter regardless of the lighter’s age or condition."



Damn....I should have sent my Zippo back to them. But I guess I better don't because shipping cost to get it there is more than enough to buy a few new one. See...sometime I clever also.



Zippo also famous for windproof....very good for a windy city like Cairo.


Every Zippo lighter manufatured date is also stamped on the casing.....mine is June 2005. So it's almost 3 years old now.




.....and clip holder like handphone clip holder.


Zippo not just being used as a windproof life time warranty lighter, it also blends into trend, fashion and advertising as well. Look at the Jack Daniel's whisky label famously seen on the casing....you think Zippo give Jack Daniel free advertising meh?


Some industry has benefited from war, Zippo is one of them. A quote from their website:


"World War II had a profound effect on Zippo. Upon America’s entry in the war, Zippo ceased production of lighters for consumer markets and dedicated all manufacturing to the U.S. military. The military initiative led to the production of the steel-case Zippo with black “crackle” finish. The fact that millions of American military personnel carried the lighter into battle was a significant catalyst in establishing Zippo as an icon of America throughout the world. Supplying the military market resulted in full production for the plant. This enabled Zippo to be strong financially and made it a viable company. "



-VINcE......Life is never boring.....if you explore it.

No comments: