Saturday, April 19, 2008

QQ

So off I went to look for a cat...at animal adoption center.

First I went to Animal Friends at Maadi, an animal shelter. I didn't get to adopt any cat there because this office serves mainly as vet clinics. But Dr. Sofia there was very helpful and she gave me a hand drawn map of their main shelter nearby pyramid Giza area.



The next day, I went to the adoption center again at Giza this time, by taking Cairo taxi.



The back box thingy in the photo is the taxi and it looks exactly like the one I was taking. Very old and these Cairo taxi must have rooming the city streets for a few decades. Most of them has no air conditioning, stift and flimsy feeling seat, creeky add ons radio...and off course I am pretty sure the meter is there as decoration only; and the car is so small that my 9" feet always got stuck in between the front seat and back seat whenever I try to get out from the back.

What? Got air bag or not? Don't be silly lah, I can't even find a seat belt in it!


After some narrow and winding roads... (with hot sun and no freaking air con...)


.....and the taxi driver got lost a few times (I don't blame him, look how ulu the place is, it was right after the bare brick building on a small lane), we finally reached the shelter.

The taxi driver made an offer to wait for me (of course for a price lah), which I accepted whitout a blink.

We were greeted there by Dr. Mohamed who managed the shelter. (Dr. Mohamed with cats rooming around him and the man behind is my taxi driver)


Cats for adoption! Many many cats. One of them is call Pussy cat...no I didn't made it up...Dr. Mohamed told me one hor.

Puppies!

The center is divided into few sections: Boarding section for dogs and cat, adoption section, surgery room and a small piece of land to cremate any dead animals.

I met a few special dogs there. They are all streets dogs and there's one that was dead inside the cage looks like a boxer.

Dr. Mohamed told me some background of the dogs there...quite sad actually. As Egypt is a Muslim country, is not rare to see a street dog got bitten up badly. One dog at the center was shot by gun and brought to the center for treatmen, and the other one is crippled with 3 legs only.

All these cruelty is not right, as their prophet said :"Whoever has pity even for a little bird, will have mercy upon him by God on the Day of Resurrection"

So I guess, put it in another way, they will be punished if they did otherwise. Yeah!

This boy in the picture is a volunteer (means work for free lah)...Dr. Mohamed allowed him to work in the shelter. He was with Rocky (same name as our dog lah!), the everycat's friendly dog guard, very mild mannered and quite.

Me with the pure breed Egyptian Mau kitten. I almost adopted her but the other mix breed Siamese kitty you see in the photo below, BEGGED me to bring him instead.

Please, xuan wo, xuan wo! (pick me! pick me!)


So, I end up fostering this Siamese kitty. Eve gave him a name : QQ.

QQ joined the family on 18 April 08, and he's four months old. So now our family member's nationality got more complicated:

  • Me: Malaysian and Singapore PR
  • Eve: Singaporean with Taiwanese mum
  • Rocky: Singaporean but no IC to prove it.
  • QQ: Thai + Egyptian mix

QQ enjoying his first meal at our apartment... luncheon meat! haha, I bought some cat food for him later that night.

QQ is a very playful (but not agreesive) kitty. The first thing he did when he reached our apartment is to check out every rooms and even our bathroom! I guess he just like us: "If the apartment is not nice I don't want hor!" He ended up sleeping in the small toilet at night because he was pawling away the cat litter all over the floor. Hehe, huo gai!

QQ like companion of humans very much, which is very rare for cats.


He sticks to me whenever I go, even climbed into the washing machine when I do the laundry. He also likes to climb on me....and...


"Slaps!"....Bully me!

Dear, I think we should have call him Sticky instead lah. Too sticky! Is that even a cat? Hehe...

-VINcE

No comments: