Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Our Journey for the Last 60days (17 May - 17 July '07)...Part I

Before the 60 "jobless" days begins...

Eve and I both quit the company during May, 1 week apart. We've both decided that we need to move on from our current employment to explore other opportunities, including starting up a small business. Without much hesitation, we "fried our boss sotong", eheh.

I must say our combined salary at this company was giving us a very comfortable lifestyle.. but I'm gunning for something much better than this. I hope in 10 years time I can make 10x more than what I was paid. Heck, if a dyslexic Richard Branson can make it big, why not me? The time is on my side.

Personally, working at my ex-company was indeed a fruitful journey. Not only I was given a chance to supervise well over 70 workers and gain useful management experience, I also met my future wife, Eve there. We have now known each other and together for more than 2 years... I think we will start a different chapter on how it all started. For now, let us refresh our memory of last 60 days.....


May 17th-22th : Bangkok

This was actually our second trip in six months time to the beautiful and exciting capital city of Thailand. The first trip in October 2006 was not a very happy experience for both of us.

I'm sorry my dear, I should have had a bigger heart to accept whatever tantrum that you have thrown to me. I will continue to improve, for one simple reason: I like to see you smiling as often as possible when we spend time together. Your smile give me alot of joy.

Determined to give Eve a wonderful experience, I booked another flight to Bangkok in November, also immediately after our return. I think JetStar was having a $1 or some dirt cheap offer.

I was the chief tour planner for the second trip. Eve did the first one and I really want her to have a wonderful 2nd visit to Bangkok, so I volunteered to take over the "pour oil" position.

We set off from Changi Airport at around 6:50pm on 17 May, we were the last few passengers to board the plane..eheh, I'm good at timing.




Reached Survanabumi airport at Bangkok around 8:00pm...Eve with a beaming retro look,I like!



My secondary school friend, Adam was so kind to pick us up from the airport with his thai girlfried. He was there to do BIG business and hence we made him pay for our steamboat buffet style since he's rich!



With Adam, the steamboat buffet was quite similiar to the one in Singapore



We were supposed to stay in a apartment rented by Adam, at Thong Lor area. But we were surprised by the presence of a very unfriendly looking couple that shared the apartment. They arrived at Bangkok without prior notice to Adam who was a coordinator for their accomodation in Bangkok...oh well...


Despite reassurance from Adam that it's still ok to stay there, we decided not to let some stink face people to ruine our holiday, so we eventually move to the nearby REX Hotel instead.

2nd day in Bangkok (18 May): we set off to take the boat at Chao Phraya river. I have actually planned to spent more time around that area but we were both so tired for not having a good sleep the night before. I thought I'm going to fall flat on the BTS (Bangkok Transit System) platform while waiting for the train....I was too tired to enjoy the ride.

We only managed to drag ourself to visit the Wat Po (Temple with big reclining Buddha) and had a traditional massage there. After that we decided we need to get some sleep so we head back to the hotel..yeah!

Along Chao Phraya River...on the boat




Well, how I wish I can have a good rest now like the Buddha




Look at the pale face....not that the Buddha's feet were smelly, but Eve was tired too




At Wat Po

We went to Lumphini Stadium to watch Thai Boxing at night, we bought the ring side seat at around Bath 1000 each. It was a fantastic experience.


With one of the local favourite, ferocious punch and what a champ! He KO his opponent!


After the boxing matches, we went to Pat Pong area, the red light district will all kind of life sex show! woohoo! It was a first for us to witness the performance of "stunt show" with razor blade up, ping pong ball and etc...



3rd day at Bangkok (20 May):Shopping! Shopping! It was such a exciting place to spent our hard earned money, I'm referring to the mega weekend market: Chatuchak. We reached there before noon but only start our hunt at around 12:30pm. Adam was supposed to be there earlier but he was late. Anyway, since he introduced the delicious duck noodle to me at the nearby stall, I was happy despite abit late to start to "chop" for more bargain.


It was very crowded @ Chatuchak, locals and tourists



Baby Eve saw clothes...lots of CLOTHES!!!!



Eve's loot @ Chatuchak

Mine...lots of cheap but nice design T-shirt that we can't find in Singapore



I told Eve that we need to leave earlier at around 5:00pm in order to be "on schedule"...remember, I'm the chief planner. eheh.. I gave her a surprise by arranging a 3 hours spa session for her at the famous Being Spa. I want her to relax herself after a long shopping day. She took care of me so well and always give good massage to me whenever I was tired...it's time for her to relax.

While waiting for Eve, I wandered to the nearby food stall to eat. I love Singha beer and their mango sticky rice! But but BUT..! I love my dar more than anything eheh.



4th day in Bangkok (19 May): we went on a beatiful trip to the ancient city of Ayutthaya. I booked the tour online, I must say the service of this agent really impressed me. I get a very prompt reply from their service stuff on confirmation because I did it last minute before I left for Bangkok. On the day when the tour bus came and pick us from our hotel lobby, they arrived on time and the whole arrangement was done in an efficient and convenient way. I highly recommended them to anyone who wish to book a day tour, hassle free.



Eve was begging me to rent a buggy at Bath400, I agreed and hence we live happily ever after....



......in this beautiful Bang Pa-In Palace off Ayutthaya.





Wat Maha That, like the mini Ang Kor Wat right?


One of the few undistroyed Buddha Statue after the war...with head ok....


Oiii! Where's the head??? Poor thing.........
....ah! we found it..in between tree roots!



At Wat Lokayasutharam: Largest Reclining Budhha in the 400year old Ayutthaya




Having our lunch on River Sun Cruise...4 hours journey back to town on cruise






.......4 hours journey back to town on the cruise



We move in to a grander Twin Towers Hotel after the river tour.


That night we went to Vertigo Moon Bar at Bayan tree hotel at night, the tallest open bar in Asia Pacific, at 61st storey. We had wine there and the view was stunningly beautiful. I should have proposed to Eve there (well, good planning eheh!), because if she refuse to say "YES", I can threaten her to jump down from the 61floor with a simple leap and left here stranded in Bangkok... eheh.




Night view of Bangkok City from Vertigo Moon Bar



...and a random bathroom view at our hotel.... :p



5th day at Bangkok (21 May): We went on to another day of shopping. Day time we went to hip shopping centers like MBK in the picture below (I had my second plate of mango rice there! yummy yummy!)

After a very nice and cheap seafood dinner at a large reataurant, we went to another big but more cooling pasar malam at Suan Lum Night Market. We did our best to bring more cheap but nice clothing back to Singapore.



Me at Suan Lum market

6th day at Bangkok (22 May): Heading back to Singapore....sian..



Eve: "Sianz ahhhh... I don't want my favourite BBQ chicken wings...I want to stay!"

-VINcE

1 comment:

Eve n Vince said...

Wow, my dear you did a great job. I love it very much. Keep up the good work.

I really appreciate this, this is a great way to jot down our memories, and let us remember all our trips, ups and downs.

Thank you Baby!!!