Sunday, June 8, 2008

Captured!

Captured #1: Hit and run!

The way Egyptian maneuver their vehicle is something shocking and at times funny for me to watch.


Not too long ago, I witnessed a 4WD hit and bumped away an old car to create more parking space. The old car was obviously not on handbrake (or maybe it doens't even has any handbrake). It slided forward for 3 or 4 feet after the bump. o_O"

What I have captured here is a story of how a lady driver tried to parallel "squeezed" her car into the space between a Chevloret Optra and a BMW Sedan.

I used the word "squeeze" and not "park", because it's was so obvious that the space in between these 2 cars was simply too small, unless she can do like what we see in the "Shao Lin Soccer" movie, use "Lu Lai Shen Zhan" to push the car in.

The lady driver tried many time and gave up eventually. The Chevrolet's rear bumper was scratched during her last try.

I asked my Egyptian colleague once, what should we do if we involved in similar incident, he told me "fuck the guy".

.........well, what he meant was you simply shout at each other and then drive away.

It's not like in Singapore whereby you would expect the person at fault to make some compensation. In Egypt, you should come down from your car, shout and curse at the driver at fault like a crazy man and kick the bumper as hard as you can at the same time. Do all this while the driver is still inside the car (if he's at fault lah!)

Don't laugh hor, I didn't make this up, I saw it myself at a busy roundabout. The shouting man was so out of pitch at top of his voice.


Captured #2: Plant in my office room


I asked my company gardener to put some pots of plant inside my office room. I like the money plant on top very much.

I have one old money plant that followed me for about 4 years already. I am not a believer of feng shui or good luck charm, but I somehow like the money plant very much.


I think part of the reason is the "never give up spirit" of the plant, other than the good name. A dying money plant can grow back very fast if you give the plant some water, peel off the drying leave promptly and feed it some sunshine once in awhile.

The gardaner is awarded with a certification from Tree Lovers Club in Maadi recently. So, don't pray pray ok! My gardener got cert one!



Captured #3: Expensive Tropical *Rotten* Fruits!




We went to Carrefour for some late night shopping last Friday. It was so crowded! We sweared to never visit Carrefour again during weekend.
We found some tropical fruits there. Based on the pricing, I guess they are something considered very rare and precious in Egypt.
  • Lychee: 15.05LE per pack= SGD4
  • Mangosteen: 6 pieces for 29.80LE = SGD 1.30 per piece!
  • Rambutan: 14.75LE for than 10 pieces = SGD3.80 a pack of ROTTEN rambutan!

Well, I can start to import tropical fruits to Egypt and make a fortune here.

-VINcE

No comments: